How to paint Cyclops

This tutorial is for the Cyclops model from Knight models.





Paint list - all from Army Painter Warpaints unless stated otherwise

Crystal blue
Hydra turquoise
Deep blue
Chaotic red
Barbarian flesh
Skeleton bone
Desert yellow
Fur brown
Matt black
Matt white
Flesh tone
Soft tone
Blue tone
Natural umber pigment - Vallejo

A note on glazing
The main technique I use for this model is glazing which amounts to using many layers of very dilute paint. If you are unfamiliar with glazing I would suggest watching this video for a demonstration.

There are different ways of applying glazes and for this tutorial I have chosen what I consider the easiest method. I load the brush with diluted paint, at least 4 drops of water to 1 drop of paint, then touch the brush to a piece of kitchen paper to remove the water. Holding the brush parallel to the surface of the model I use a sweeping motion to apply a thin layer. It's important to use a motion that supports the deposit of paint pigment; for shading push the paint towards the desired darkest part and for highlighting push the paint towards the desired lightest part.

The first pass is unlikely to make much impression but this is a technique that rewards persistence. By applying more and more layers the a smooth transition can be achieved. Typically I will switch back and forth between dark to light occasionally applying a glaze of the midtone to clean up any missteps.




I started with a base colour of crystal blue.


Followed by a wash of blue tone.


To clean up the roughness of the wash I first applied a mix of deep blue and black to the recesses.


Then the base colour to the surfaces of the muscles.


Now I start with the glazing. For shading I used a mix of deep blue and chaotic red adding in small amounts of black as I increased the shading. For the highlights I used a mix of crystal blue, hydra turquoise and increasing amounts of skeleton bone.



 The final highlights and shading were done with very dilute white and black.


The base colour for the gold bands and piping  was desert yellow.


Using very dilute white and black I sketched in the placement of the highlights and shading. The nmm is a little cartoony but I don't normally use this technique and anyway I think this is in keep with the look of the model.


I created various mixes going from white through yellow to black using skeleton bone, desert yellow and fur brown. I forgot to take any intermediate photos as I tend to work quite fast with the glazing method. It's also a bit of trial and error, with lots of correcting mistakes, smoothing transitions, increasing saturation etc.

Just keep going until you have a satisfactory result.



Using white I painted the edges of the bands followed by black to outline




The face was basecoated with tanned flesh.


Then washed with with flesh tone.


And highlighted with a mix of tanned flesh and skeleton bone.



The base was given several washes of soft tone and natural umber. Blue wash was used to give shading and tonal variation.


No comments:

Post a Comment