This blog is no longer being updated. For my latest tutorials please visit

I now have a youtube channel which you can view here. I don't really know what I'm doing so don't expect any Sorastro quality videos, but if you are curious as to how I paint then head over to my channel. Who knows, maybe I'll do that tutorial on painting leather.

How to paint the Mighty Thor

This tutorial is for the Mighty Thor from Knight Models.

Paint list

Army Painter Warpaints
Pure red
Chaotic red
Hydra turquoise
Barbarian flesh
Leather brown
Oak brown
Desert yellow
Uniform grey
Ash grey
Gun metal
Shining silver
Greedy gold
Matt black
Matt white
Flesh tone ink

I started by basecoating the parts as follows:
Cloak - pure red
Metal - gun metal
Tunic - uniform grey
Skin - barbarian flesh
Hair and straps - leather brown

The metal was given a broad highlight of silver.

The first shading was done with a couple of thin layers of a black and turquoise mix.

The shading was increased with a darker mix of black and chaotic red.

The armour plates were black lined with diluted black.

The metal was finished with an edge highlight of silver.

The skin was given a wash of flesh tone ink.

Barbarian flesh was reapplied to the skin leaving the flesh wash showing in the recesses.

The skin was highlighted with a mix of barbarian flesh and skeleton bone.

Further highlights were done by adding white to the previous mix.

The hair was washed with oak brown.

Leather brown was reapplied to the hair strands.

 The hair was highlighted with desert yellow.

Further highlights were done by adding skeleton bone to desert yellow.

The tunic and boots were washed with a mix of uniform grey and black.

The muscles and folds were highlighted with a mix of uniform grey and ash grey.

Further highlights were done with ash grey.

A final highlight was done with ash grey and white.

The trim was painted with greedy gold.

Then shaded with flesh tone ink.

And finally highlighted with a mix of gold and silver.

To shade the red several thin layers of chaotic red were applied to the recesses.

A little black was added to increase the shading.

To highlight the red I used a little barbarian flesh added to the red.

A mix of mostly barbarian flesh and red were applied to the sharpest folds.

The finished model.

No comments:

Post a Comment